Stuffed cabbage is a classic comfort food that brings back memories of grandma’s cooking. It’s also a great way to use up leftover cabbage from other dishes. This hearty and delicious dish is perfect for a cold winter’s evening or a dinner party with friends and family.
Here, I will share with you my favorite stuffed cabbage recipe.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Core the cabbage and blanch it in boiling water for 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ground beef, cooked rice, onion, garlic, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Peel the cabbage leaves off and lay them flat on a cutting board. Trim the spine of each leaf to make it easier to roll.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture onto each cabbage leaf. Roll each leaf tightly and tuck in the ends.
- Place the stuffed cabbage rolls in a baking dish, seam side down.
- Mix the tomato sauce, water, and olive oil together in a bowl and pour the sauce over the stuffed cabbage rolls.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the cabbage is tender and the sauce is bubbly.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes or a side salad.
- You can replace ground beef with ground turkey or pork.
- Make sure to blanch the cabbage leaves until they are flexible but not too soft.
- Use toothpicks to secure the stuffed cabbage rolls before placing them in the baking dish.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Stuffed cabbage is a delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year. This recipe is easy to make and full of flavor. You can customize it by adding your favorite herbs and spices or by swapping out the meat.
Serve it as a main course for your next dinner party or make a batch for meal prep. No matter how you enjoy it, this stuffed cabbage recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household.