Kreplach is a Jewish dish that resembles dumplings. They are filled with meat, cheese, or potato and boiled before serving.
This delicious dish dates back thousands of years and is a staple in Jewish cuisine. It has a very simple recipe and doesn’t require any complicated ingredients.
You can make this dish at home for a perfect family night dinner, or for a special occasion. So, are you ready to learn how to make Kreplach?
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1/2 lb. beef or chicken mince
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Start by making the dough. In a bowl, mix the flour and salt. Now, add the egg and water, and mix until the dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes to make it elastic. Once done, let the dough sit for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, sauté the onion in a pan until they are translucent. Now, add the mince and cook until it turns brown. Season with salt and pepper, and set it aside.
- Take the dough and roll it out on a floured surface until it’s thin. Now, use a knife or a cookie cutter to cut the dough into squares or circles, depending on your preference.
- Add 1 tsp. to 1 tbsp. of the filling in the center of each dough. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and fold it over, securing the edges.
- Place the kreplach in boiling water and cook until they float for around 5-7 minutes.
- You can use any filling of your choice such as potato or cheese.
- Don’t overfill the dough, or it will break when cooking.
- You can double the recipe if you want to make more Kreplach.
- Serve with chicken soup or as a side dish.
Kreplach is a simple, easy to make dish that can impress your family and friends. With this step-by-step recipe, you can make delicious Kreplach at home in less than an hour.
It’s perfect for any special occasion or family night dinner. You can experiment with the filling and add your preferred ingredients. Always remember, don’t overfill!
So, what are you waiting for? Head to your kitchen, use this recipe and make your Kreplach today!