Apple pie is a classic dessert that will never go out of style. It’s perfect for any occasion, whether it’s Thanksgiving dinner or just a casual family gathering. With the right recipe, you can create a pie that has the perfect balance of flavors – sweet, tangy, and warm.
In this post, we’ll be sharing with you the best apple pie recipe that you need to try.
- 2 pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- 6-7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of the pie
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Roll out one pie crust and place it in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie crust and dot it with pieces of unsalted butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust and lay it over the top of the pie. Trim the edges, leaving around 1/2 inch of overhang, and crimp them together with the bottom crust to seal the pie.
- Cut a few slits on the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top crust and sprinkle granulated sugar on top.
- Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool down for at least 30 minutes before serving.
To achieve the best texture in the filling, mix sweet and tart apples together. Granny Smith apples work great as they remain firm when baked and have a slightly sour taste that contrasts well with the sugar and spices.
Don’t skip the lemon juice! It adds a tartness that complements the sweetness of the apples and enhances their flavor.
If the pie crust is browning too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning.
Making an apple pie from scratch may seem intimidating, but it’s definitely worth the effort. With the help of this recipe, you can bake a delicious pie that will be the star of any dessert table. Remember to choose the right apples, use fresh ingredients, and follow the instructions carefully.
With a bit of patience and practice, you’ll be able to master the art of baking apple pies and delighting your family and friends.